Poet Teacher Application
Download printable form, as a PDF or Word doc
Dear Poet Teacher Applicant:
Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the California Poets in the Schools Program. Please note the following steps.
1) When you have completed the poet application, please send it via email with "New Poet Teacher Application" in the subject line; you can also mail it to California Poets in the Schools, 1333 Balboa Street, Suite 3, San Francisco, CA 94118.
2) Your application will be filed at the CPITS central office and a copy will be sent to the area coordinator to decide which poet is best suited for the local programs.
3) If accepted, you will:
a) have an orientation with your area coordinator or area trainer, and
b) be trained by working in the classroom with experienced poet-teachers.
4) Following the training period (a minimum of ten sessions and the completion of ten written lessons plans) and you are accepted into CPITS, your status, like that of all CPITS poets, will be that of an independent contractor.
It is important that you understand this. After training, the area coordinator will evaluate your progress. At this stage you will be either formally accepted to CPITS, asked to continue training, or asked to leave the program.
The position of area coordinator is largely volunteer and, while there are many people in the program who can help and advise you, it will be up to you to secure jobs in the schools.
Please note that applications are reviewed at the beginning of each school semester, though timelines for training after acceptance may vary depending on your experience, the availability of poet-teacher trainers, and whether there is a waiting list in your area.
Yearly membership is required of all CPITS poet-teachers. As a member, your benefits include access to CPITS regional multicultural workshops and the annual statewide conference; a copy of the statewide anthology; newsletters; participation in poetry readings; a network with other poets; access to CPITS matching funds and CPITS multicultural classroom training. Membership fees of $40.00 or more should be sent to CPITS central office before your training begins.
Please contact the area coordinator in your county by contacting the CPITS central office 415-221-4201 if you have any questions.
I have read the above:
Please send a copy of this with your application to the main office in San Francisco.
CALIFORNIA POETS IN THE SCHOOLS POET APPLICATION
SS# _________________________________ PHONE:__________________________________________
How did you discover CPITS?____________________________________________________________
1. What experiences have you had as a poet-teacher? What grade levels have you taught?
2. Where have you been published and/or given readings of your work?
3. What experiences have you had working for and/or in your community?
4. Are you bilingual/multicultural? What languages and level of fluency?
5. How do you think a poet can go about "teaching" poetry?
6. Please comment on the importance of writing in your life.
CPITS poet orientation and training is required of all new poets. Please attach a current resume with your literary/publication history and four or five of your poems and return to:
or mail to:
California Poets in the Schools
1333 Balboa Street, Suite #3
San Francisco, CA 94118
Thank you for you interest in California Poets in the Schools.